Can giraffes cough?

Can giraffes cough?

According to some, no. Fiction. But what giraffes can do is stoop
low, lift their stubby little paws and board a Boeing 747 home to
South Africa. Fact.

This is precisely what one little giraffe did when she headed south
for the wilting days of British summer, the whole of autumn 2010 and
a fair chunk of winter in order to dip one toe in the Indian Ocean,
another in the Atlantic and stick her head above the canopy and nibble
on jungle.

Follow her African Safari Picnic over Table Mountain and through the
undergrowth as she becomes the first giraffe to contribute to the

Sunday 14 November 2010

an ode to solitude

If there’s one thing I have learned,
On this trip so far from home,
It’s that travelling in a car
Expends you lots of time alone.
Though it’s pleasant driving solo
(And not too much of a bore),
I do find myself just glancing
Over ‘tward the passenger door,
And thinking, “Wouldn’t it be nice
To have a little friend,
Someone I could chatter to,
Someone with an ear to lend.
A Cassie or a Pipulet would be a
A lovely treat,
Or just to have a Pelly sitting in
That empty seat.
An Erik would do wonders for
Those lonely, silent days,
And Emma - she would make me smile
With everything she says.
A Rebs would be perfection
If I needed help with smells,
And Lou’n’Saff a super team -
Oh, where, oh, where is Jules?
A Breezie or a Marchington
Might make a lovely change,
And stop me talking to myself,
Stop me being deranged.

A Ness, a Ranch, a Dannibear
One Freya or one Jess,
A Loz, a Julie, two Melissas:
That would be the best.
Why aren’t the Liters next to me?
It’s quiet - where is Mulkerrins?
Oh, where is all my Big Gay Tent
And everyone from Trellick?
No, it’s just me, I’m on my own
(Unless you’re counting Irons,
Reading Brideshead out to me),
Yes, just me and the lions.
 
And then the lightbulb flickers bright
And things fall into place,
When I remember that so soon
I’ll have my own Roundface!

1 comment: