Can giraffes cough?

Can giraffes cough?

According to some, no. Fiction. But what giraffes can do is stoop
low, lift their stubby little paws and board a Boeing 747 home to
South Africa. Fact.

This is precisely what one little giraffe did when she headed south
for the wilting days of British summer, the whole of autumn 2010 and
a fair chunk of winter in order to dip one toe in the Indian Ocean,
another in the Atlantic and stick her head above the canopy and nibble
on jungle.

Follow her African Safari Picnic over Table Mountain and through the
undergrowth as she becomes the first giraffe to contribute to the

Thursday 12 August 2010

A positive ID

Breathe easy, I have identified the beast.


After much charadesy flapping about for the locals, many a mammalic hand gesture, and well over four minutes-worth of nose twitching, I have been told that the creature who took a liking to my right kneecap is not a gopher, not a groundhog and not a water rat but a dassie, a rock hyrax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Hyrax), or, my personal favourite, a rock rabbit.

I was also told that these guinea piggy rascals are extremely wild and have a predilection for the old scratch-bite-gouge manoeuvre which I was lucky to miss out on when I was teasing the little cutie with my scarf.

Glad to put a lid on that one.

Here is a picture of a queer little dog with eyebrows for anyone unduly upset about not being able to pin the species on the animal:



No comments:

Post a Comment